001

Photo Challenge Week 4 – Create Art

This week’s photo prompt for the ongoing photo challenge from The Studio Sublime is Create Art. The first thing that came to mind was of course, to make jewelry but then I realized that this time of year I create a very different kind of art.

I do it all year round in truth but in winter I do it more often it seems as the season just seems to call out for it.

I bake.
Who is to say there is not art in bread?

Not me.
Especially my challah bread.
It starts out as one thing and turns into something else altogether.

It is not ugly in its pre-baked state.
It glistens with its egg wash.
It smells of yeast and I used my hands to shape it for baking.

But it is the finished bread that truly is a work of art.

The house smells heavenly.
Warm, welcoming and with that certain homeyness that is just so inviting.

My loaves are not bakery perfect in looks but they are delicious.
I have been making them for years.
I have not bought a loaf of bread for as long as I can remember.

The challah is eggy, rich and perfect to eat plain, as toast or with soup for dinner.
It is something that sustains me.
It is something I love to do.

I have created art.
It just happens to be edible.

>52 week badge

27 thoughts on “Photo Challenge Week 4 – Create Art

1. Lin

Yum! You’ve got me wanting to make bread now. I think I shall do that this week if I can. I LOVE homemade bread. There is just something about it that warms the soul.

2. Designed by Vera

I soooo agree with you! I think anything we can create from something else is art….And the bread…..I used to bake and loved it. The smells…ahhhhh. May have to go back to it!!! Keep up the great work!

3. Patti Van

Edible art is my favorite kind! Your loaves look GORGEOUS! I bake bread twice a month – just the smell makes me happy! I have never tried the challah bread – now I MUST! :)

4. Alicia

Ah, beautiful and delicious at the same time: of course it is an art!

Would you share your recipe? I, too, haven’t bought store-made bread in a very, very long time and your sure looks delicious :)

5. Meeling

Yum! I made bread too!! ;-) Isn’t homemade bread just the best!! My husband won’t eat store bought bread anymore and when my kids do from time to time, they always comment on how much better the homemade is. Your challah looks wonderful! Egg washing brings out such a wonderful sheen and browning.

6. Tamago

Wow I love your blog!
    I’ve never seen bread as art but you are right, you’ve created beautiful, warm art! I am drooling all over here …Ok, I don’t sound very artistic :-)

7. Alice

Coming from a person who loves bread and thinks it should be present at every meal, I do think this is art. Your homemade bread looks yummy!

8. Tanya

Oh .. wow! Your pictures are gorgeous, and your bread .. well, sometimes I wish I could just grab something through the computer monitor.

I love to make bread also, though I don’t do it as often as I would like. There is something about the process that I just love.

9. Shel

Edible art might just be the best kind. Your photographs are so good I started drooling and I swear I can almost smell the bread!! I will dream of your bread tonight as I sleep!! :-)

10. Katherine at Terra Beadworks

Your pictures are wonderful and I can almost smell and taste the rich goodness! Oh my….now I’m desiring home made bread! When I was young my mom always made bread and buns and I couldn’t wait to get home from school and have a warm bun loaded with butter honey and peanut butter! Yum!