014

Photo Challenge, Week 11 – The Possibilities are Endless

And so we continue on with the delightful Focus on Life photo challenge from Sally at The Studio Sublime. This week our photo prompt included the words:

This week pay attention to your surroundings and your daily activities and show us what holds endless possibilities for you

Unlike some other prompts I knew exactly what I would post for this week. In fact I took this photo last Sunday! To me this simple shot is ripe with possibility.

While not full – Louise was in heat when I milked her that day and her production was down. She usually gives me about 3/4s of a quart a day – that jar of milk can become so many different things!

It’s the only milk we drink; it goes in my husband’s cereal, into my oatmeal and into his coffee.

It becomes the most delicious ice cream I have ever made. (This photo is from an ice cream cake I made. Recipe – part 1, part 2) Goat’s milk is naturally homogenized and my Nigerians have milk that is 6% milk fat. It’s a heart healthy fat. I drink it and I don’t get heartburn as I do when I drink fatted cow’s milk.

I can make a caramel sauce (recipe for the spiced version) that is so good I often finding myself just eating it out of the jar.

I can make cheese. Chevre, cheddar, Monteray Jack, Parmesan, and ricotta.
I have made fudge, hot fudge sauce and pudding.
And yogurt. I make yogurt for my husband. He takes it to work for his lunch every day.

And of course I make soap. Lots and lots and lots of soap!

That milk has endless possibilities!

>52 week badge

20 thoughts on “Photo Challenge, Week 11 – The Possibilities are Endless

1. Kashmira

OMG!!!! This is truly amazing!!!! Who would have thought of looking into a jar of milk for possibilities! And I would never ever have thought of soap!

2. Patti Van

You had me at the word “milk” – as I love it in all its forms, too! But the caramel sauce…oh my…that looks just divine! And, soap from milk? I did not know that! I bet that makes a wonderfully rich and soothing soap, no?!

3. Claire

i think this is my favourite post so far! to think a jar of milk, freely given, could become sooooo many scrummy creations, both edible and not :) amazing!!!

4. A Polymer Penchant

from the moment I saw the thumbnail, I knew it would be goat’s milk. But boy, all the pictures that followed! I never would have thought of the caramel sauce, sounds divine. I’m a goat cheese fan most of all.

5. Alice

I would love to spend a week with you in your kitchen! How rewarding it must be to make your own cheese and all these other goodies.

I have to admit I had cows milk only once, and it was still warm and chunky, which I did not care for at all.

6. HundredColors

Wow, my favorite post this week! Rich in every sense.. But I just felt like seeing a foto of the goat too. There were goats(3) at my grandmother’s house, and I loved it when they had little ‘babies’. We used to get pure rich milk in tall glasses too. Buttermilk, yogurt, payasam and halwa was the yummies that came from that milk. SOAP is news for me.

7. Shaiha

I have never tried goat’s milk or at least I didn’t think that I had until you listed some of the cheeses. You really can get a lot out of that milk.