I have really been enjoying the Try the World boxes that I receive for review. I have shared my opinions with you as I’ve traveled to the different countries with them. Try the World is great for subscription box gift giving fun. This month they are presenting a very special box and deal – Start With The Holiday Box and get a FREE Italy Box! I will have a link to the Italy Box at the end of this post so you can see what you would get
A Special, Limited Edition Box
The Holiday Box was curated by the Michelin for the very first time – you know, the company that gives stars to restaurants. Unlike other boxes, this one does not come from one single country. Check out the video to see what is in the box:
If you cannot see the video you can watch it HERE
How Did We Like It
As you can see there are a lot of interesting taste treats in the box. I’ve got a recipe below using three of them but as to the others here are my thoughts:
- I ate every single one of those toffees. I didn’t share. They were very good. I am not the least bit embarrassed about being a piggie.
- The maple shortbread cookies were very good. A mild maple flavor on a classic shortbread. I did let the hubby have most of them since I ate the toffees.
- The pineapple cakes were a little bit odd; they were like chewy cookies with a somewhat tasteless pineapple jelly in the center.
- We haven’t tried the mushroom sauce as of yet.
- Nor have I tried the hot chocolate as of yet but I have some ideas for hot chocolate marshmallows for using in hot chocolate. Think that through….
- The spice cake mix, the date paste and the lemon curd are all used below in my recipe.
I just have so much fun with these boxes and if you have someone on your shopping list for the upcoming holidays and are just not sure what to get them if you ask me there is nothing better than the surprise of a subscription box.
A Delightful Treat
Every box I make something fun with what I find in the box. This month I thought I’d work with the products in the box instead of pulling one out and adding from my pantry. That’s not to say you couldn’t recreate this recipe using any spice cake recipe.
Mini Spice Cakes with Date Filling and Lemon Curd
Makes 15 mini cakes
1 package spice cake mix from Try the World Holiday Box or spice cake to make 1 6 oz loaf
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
3 TBS date paste
2 TBS lemon curd
Preheat oven to 320°
Add the milk mixture to the spice cake mix and stir to combine
Fill the cupcake cups 2/3rds full and bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 12 – 14 minutes.
Cut a well in each cupcake
These were delightful little cakes. The cake itself had a real spicy bite – quite gingery. The date paste added a wonderful depth and the lemon curd finished with lovely tangy bite.
I also tried the date spread on my waffle one morning. It was a tasty change from syrup. I still have some left so who knows what else I’ll think to do with it. I think it would be interesting with chicken.
I hope you enjoyed this tour through the Try the World Holiday Box. Remember, you can Gift the World – Try The World this holiday season. Maybe even to yourself? It is a wonderful subscription box for gift giving.
Other Travels with Try the World
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase I receive a small commission that helps to keep the Farm cats in treats.
- 1 package spice cake mix from Try the World Holiday Box or spice cake to make 1 6 oz loaf
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 TBS date paste
- 2 TBS lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 320°
- Add mini cupcake papers to mini cupcake tin and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix the milk and honey in a small pot and heat over medium heat until the honey is melted into the milk.
- Add the milk mixture to the spice cake mix and stir to combine
- Fill the cupcake cups ⅔rds full and bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 12 - 14 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Cut a well in each cupcake
- Fill with date paste - I filled a cake decorating bag and used a plain tip to fill the holes. Smooth the paste.
- Add the lemon curd to another bag and decorate the top