This message is brought to you by Sunshine Clothesline Products.
I look forward every year to when the cold weather leaves and I can start hanging my clothes outside to dry in the sun. I have always done it! Even in the early days of my marriage I looked forward to the return of warm weather so I could stop using the dryer and return to my clothes line.
I love nothing more than looking out the window to see my clothes on their sunshine clothesline blowing in the breeze. So why should you dry your clothes out in nature’s dryer?
1. This reason is very personal – I don’t know about you but I love, love, LOVE the smell of clothes dried on the line. Especially my sheets. The scent lingers for days so that when I get into bed that fresh outdoor smell lulls me to sleep.
2. According to the US Department of Energy a dryer uses 6 – 10% of your energy costs so by not using your dryer you are saving those costs. Our dryer runs on propane and given what happened to the cost of it this year I’ll be happy to save some in the tank for other uses.
3. It saves wear and tear on your clothes. That lint you find in your dryer is the breakdown of the fibers of your clothing. The agitation in the dryer helps to speed that along.
4. Did you know that clothes dryers account for over 15,000 house fires a year? By hanging your wash outside you lower the risk of having your dryer catch on fire.
5. The sun is like having someone there to iron your clothes. Unlike with a dryer where you have to get them out when they are done or your clothes will wrinkle, the clothes on the line will end up almost wrinkle free.
There are of course many other reasons to take advantage of the sun but these are my favorites. I love my sunshine clothes dryer and use it as often as I can. I only wish Montana’s weather let me use it all year round!