I don’t know about you but sometimes I just want a big bowl of soup. Especially as the weather turns colder. To me it’s the ultimate comfort food. The other day it was snowing and raw. Soup was definitely the answer to the weather so I looked to see what I had in the kitchen. The hubby had brought in the last of the harvest which included some big cabbages. I also had some potatoes and bacon. Hmmmm, if that didn’t sound like a yummy soup in the making I don’t know what would. I was soon on the road to bacon potato and cabbage soup.
Bacon Potato and Cabbage Soup
1 pound bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 large potatoes
1/2 head of cabbage
1 quart of chicken stock
2 cups water
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 TBS thyme
1 TBS salt
sour cream for garnish if desired
Cut the bacon into small pieces.
Peel and cut the potatoes into 1/2 cubes
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Cook the bacon until it is quite crisp. Remove the cooked bacon from the pot. Strain the bacon grease and reserve.
Wipe out the pot and return to the stove. Add 3 TBS of the reserved bacon grease.
Add the potatoes and stir, cooking until the potatoes are coated with bacon grease
Add the chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil and let simmer. Add most of the bacon reserving enough to sprinkle on top at serving.
Thinly slice the cabbage
How Was It?
It was yummy soup. The first night I served it with the bacon on top and the crunch was a welcome element. The second night I got the brilliant idea to add the sour cream
It was tastier on the second night after the flavors had time to marry. It was rather like stuffed baked potato soup. I grated a little Parmesan cheese over top as well. It was an easy to make soup and certainly one I’ll be making again. I think it will go well in the bread bowls I made. For a first try I wanted to taste the soup by itself. If you are looking for a delicious comfort soup bacon, potato and cabbage soup will do the job.
Other Soup Recipes:
ALL PURCHASE LINKS ARE AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH MEANS IF YOU BUY ANYTHING THROUGH THEM I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION (AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO YOU) THAT HELPS TO KEEP THE FARM CATS IN TOYS AND TREATS
- 1 pound bacon
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 large potatoes
- ½ head of cabbage
- 1 quart of chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 TBS thyme
- 1 TBS salt
- sour cream for garnish if desired
- Cut the bacon into small pieces.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into ½ cubes
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Cook the bacon until it is quite crisp. Remove the cooked bacon from the pot. Strain the bacon grease and reserve.
- Wipe out the pot and return to the stove. Add 3 TBS of the reserved bacon grease.
- Add the onions and cook until the onions just start to brown.
- Add the potatoes and stir, cooking until the potatoes are coated with bacon grease
- Add the chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil and let simmer. Add most of the bacon reserving enough to sprinkle on top at serving.
- Thinly slice the cabbage
- After the potatoes have cooked add the cabbage and cook until the cabbage softens
- Serve with the reserved bacon on top or with sour cream if desired