a rich caramel mousse in a delicious chocolate tart shell
For the Crust
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Dutch-processed cocoa
For the Mousse
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 pkg (1/4 oz) unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped, quality semi sweet chocolate
- 1/4 tsp flake sea salt or Himalayan pink sea salt
Preheat the oven to 325°
1. Make the crust. Heat oven to 325° F. In the bowl of a mixer cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Add yolk, vanilla, and salt and blend. In a small bowl combine flour and cocoa; add to mixer and mix until just combined.
2. Press dough evenly into bottom and up sides of a 9-by-9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. I used a round tart pan because that is what I had and it worked fine. Pierce crust with a fork. Freeze 20 min, then bake until firm, 20 to 22 min. Cool completely.
3. For the mousse, whip cream to soft peaks. Cover and reserve in fridge.
4. Place egg yolks in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. In a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over 6 tbsp water to soften.
5. In a large saucepan combine the sugar with cup water. Cook over medium-high heat, swirling pan occasionally until sugar is a deep amber, about 10 min. It can turn from amber to burnt in a second so watch it! Remove from heat and carefully stir gelatin into hot caramel (caramel will bubble vigorously). With the mixer on high speed, gradually pour hot caramel into egg yolks. Continue whipping until mixture is room temperature and has doubled in size, 5 to 7 min. Fold reserved whipped cream into caramel and pour into cooled crust. Chill tart until firm, 1 to 2 hr.
6. Meanwhile, melt chocolate and spread in a thin layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea or Himalayan pink sea salt and let set. Before serving, decorate tart with shards of the chocolate bark.
prep time includes set time for mousse
Keywords: tart, mousse, chocolate, caramel