A British pastry with 2/3rds savory and 1/3rd sweet
For the pastry
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 TBS cold, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup lard or shortening, cold
- 3 –4 TBS ice water
For the Pork Filling
- 1 6 oz boneless pork chop, diced
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/2 cup broccoli and cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
For the Filling – Sweet
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries or strawberries – if using strawberries quarter them
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2 TBS all purpose flour
- 1 tsp butter
1 egg for an egg wash
Make the pie crust:
- Mix the flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Add the cold butter and lard/shortening and cut in with a pastry blender or two knives until it looks like small peas.
- Add three tablespoons of the ice water and stir with a fork just until combined. If you need to add more water do so a little at a time. You do not want the dough to be too wet.
- Bring the dough together on a lightly floured counter and knead gently. Form into a disc and wrap in plastic or wax paper.
- Refrigerate for about an hour.
Make the Filling
- Heat a heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Add in the diced pork and let sit for about a minute then stir.
- Stir in the corn and broccoli. Add the salt and Herbes de Provence. Heat through.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. If you have a pizza stone it will make the bottom crust nice and crisp. Preheat it at the same time.
Make the pie filling
- Add the fruit to a small bowl. Stir in the sugar and flour. Set aside
To Build the Clanger
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Cut it in half.
- Take one half and roll it into a rectangle about 12″ x 10″ trimming the edges so they are even. Save the trimmings to make the dam.
- Mix the egg with a bit of water. Brush upper third of the dough with some of the egg wash.
- Add half of the pork filling to one side of the dough, leaving about an inch open on the left.
- Using the trimmings dam off the pork side from the berry side. See the photo. Be sure to use the egg wash as needed to seal the pieces to the bottom and to each other so it doesn’t leak. Take it around the sides as shown.
- Add the fruit to the other side, leaving about an inch free on the right. Add the butter to the top.
- Take the dough from the top side and bring it towards the fillings. Bring the bottom up and over. Fold the ends and pinch. Seal with a fork.
- Press down at the point of the dam so as to mark the separation.
- Cut steam vents in the top on both sides
- Brush with egg wash.
- Carefully move onto parchment paper and then onto the pizza stone.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving or it can also be eaten at room temperature.
There might be some pork filling left over. You don’t want to overstuff. I used it the next day to make fried rice.
Keywords: Clanger, Bedfordshire Clanger, British food, pastry