A tender cake with a layer of chocolate covered strawberry topped with delicious crumbs
- 8 TBS unsalted butter melted, kept warm
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
For the Cake
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 TBS unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or sour cream mixed with milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced (can be frozen)
- 1.5 oz semi sweet chocolate
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Line an 8 x 8″ pan with foil. Grease or use cooking spray on the foil.
Make the Crumb Topping
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Pour in the melted butter and stir until crumbs form. Set aside
Make the Cake
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached add the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mis together on low speed until combined.
- Continuing on low, add the butter, one piece at a time, mixing until it looks like wet sand.
- Add the buttermilk (or sour cream/milk), vanilla, egg, egg yolk and mix on medium high for one minute until light and fluffy. Batter will be thick.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle the sliced strawberries over the top of the batter.
- Either grate or finely chop the chocolate. Evenly cover the strawberries with the chocolate.
- Cover the chocolate layer with the crumb mixture, squeezing to make larger crumbs if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through baking.
- The cake is done when a tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
Keywords: crumb cake, chocolate strawberry crumb cake