A classic peach pie with a basket weave top crust
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- healthy pinch of salt
- 3 TBS granulated sugar
- 8 TBS cold butter cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup cold shortening
- up to 5 TBS ice water
For the Pie Filling:
- 12 med to large peaches – peeled, pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 TBS butter, cut into pieces
- egg and a splash of water for egg wash
sugar in the raw for the top of the pie
ice cream if desired for serving
Make the pie crust:
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Add the cold butter and shortening. Cut the fats into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles small peas.
- Add the ice water one tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork until the dough just comes together.
- Turn out onto your work surface and knead once or twice until the dough forms a cohesive ball. Cut into two pieces, form into two flattened circles, wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and put in the refrigerator for an hour to rest.
- While the crust is resting peel and pit your peaches and slice them into 1/4″ smiles. The peaches will peel easier if you drop them into boiling water for about a minute and a half. Then put them in cold water. The peels should slip right off.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice to the peaches. Just before you are ready to put the filling in the pie crust add the flour and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- Remove one of the crust rounds from the refrigerator. Roll it out so that it extends at least 1″ past the edge of your 9″ pie pan. Trim so the edge is even.
- Brush the bottom of the pie crust with some of the egg wash. Fill the crust, letting the peaches drain through your fingers if necessary. Dot with butter.
- Take the second crust round from the refrigerator and roll it out 1/4″ thick. Cut it into fourteen 9″ strips.
- Weave the rest of the strips to make the basketweave pattern by lifting up every other piece and laying down a strip crosswise.
- Do this until the entire pie is covered. Trim the strips to the edge of the pie plate.
- Fold up the overhang from the bottom crust.
- Pinch in the edge with the index finger of your right hand and the thumb and index finger of your left hand (if you are right handed) to make a decorative edge. Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Make a foil ring (and don’t be like me and forget to spray it with cooking spray or it will stick to your crust!) and cover the edge of your crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes and then lower the temperature to 350° and bake for 30 minutes or until the juices are bubbling and the crust is nice and brown.
- Let sit until cool before slicing or the juices will run.
Keywords: pie, peach pie, peaches