Sweet Scallops with a blackberry sauce on charred radicchio served with a side of avocado zoodles
For the Scallops
- 10 sea scallops
- 2 TBS all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 TBS canola oil
For the Radicchio
- 1 small, organic radicchio
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Blackberry Sauce
- 1 cup organic blackberries, plus a few more for plating
- 1 TBS orange juice or water
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 2 star anise pods, preferably organic
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
For the Zoodles
- 1 medium organic zucchini, cut into zoodles
- 1 avocado
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
Make the Blackberry Sauce:
- Add the blackberries, sugar, orange juice or water, balsamic, lemon juice and star anise to a small pot over medium heat. As the mixture heats up, mash the blackberries.
- When the blackberries have released their juices and the mixture has just come to a boil, remove from heat and strain. Clean the pot and return the strained sauce to the pot. Cook over medium heat until slightly reduced. Remove from heat and add butter. Set aside.
Make the Charred Radicchio:
- Set your oven to broil. Pull the radicchio leaves off of the head and add to a small bowl with the 2 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp of salt. Mix and spread on a baking sheet. Place under the broiler for 2 -4 minutes until the leaves just begin to char. Remove from oven and set aside.
Make the Zoodles in Avocado Sauce:
- Peel and pit the avocado and add it to a medium bowl with the lemon juice and salt. Mince the garlic clove and stir in. Set aside.
- Heat a medium pot with salted water. When the water reaches a boil drop the zoodles in and stir. Immediately strain the zoodles. Let them drain well, then add them to the bowl with the avocado mixture. Stir to combine, set aside.
Cook the Scallops:
- Mix the flour, salt and chili powder. Dredge the scallops in the flour.
- Heat the canola oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium high heat. Pan fry the scallops for about two minutes on each side.
- While the scallops are cooking warm up the blackberry sauce.
- place half of the charred radicchio down. Top with 5 scallops. Drizzle with blackberry sauce. Arrange fresh blackberries around the scallops. Add a serving of zoodles on the side.
It might look complicated but it’s really an easy meal to make. Just follow the steps
Keywords: scallops, fresh from the garden, blackberries, dinner for two, romantic dinner