The eggplant plants just keep on giving this year. It is the best year we have had for it since we have had it in the garden. I’m not complaining, I love eggplant and I love having so much of it around to experiment with eggplant recipes in the kitchen. I’m also getting some red tomatoes so the other night I came up with a very simple, but ultimately very tasty, tart for dinner.
Eggplant, Tomato and Feta Tart
1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, preferably organic
2 large Italian eggplants, preferably organic
1/4 cup plus 2 TBS basil pesto
6 oz feta cheese
4 oz mozzarella cheese
2 TBS Olive Oil
One pie crust for a 9″ pie – homemade or store bought
Preheat the oven to 350°
Spray baking trays with cooking spray
Lay them out on separate baking trays. Brush with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt
Roast in the vegetables for half and hour and rotate the trays. Before you put the tomatoes back in the oven very carefully pour the juices off of the tray and set aside
Return to the oven and let cook until the eggplant slices are lightly browned and soft and the tomato released its juices and caramelized a bit. About 15 more minutes.
If you are making your pie crust do so now,
Take the crust and fit it into a 9″ tart pan with a removable bottom
How Was It?
This was one tasty tart. I made it with eggplant and tomatoes that had been picked that same day so it was as fresh as it could be. The eggplant was rich and sweet and the tomato was tart. The two cheeses were perfect foils for the vegetables.
The tart was even better the second night. I think the next time I make it I might add additional layers. I won’t change a thing about the flavors – they all came together beautifully. This tart is a celebration of late summer.
More Eggplant Recipes:
All Amazon purchase links are affiliate links which means if you buy anything through them I will receive a small commission that helps to keep the Farm cats in toys and treats
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, preferably organic
- 2 large Italian eggplants, preferably organic
- ¼ cup plus 2 TBS basil pesto
- 6 oz feta cheese
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- One pie crust for a 9" pie - homemade or store bought
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Spray baking trays with cooking spray
- Cut the eggplant and tomato into slices about ½" thick
- Lay them out on separate baking trays. Brush with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Roast in the vegetables for half and hour and rotate the trays. Before you put the tomatoes back in the oven very carefully pour the juices off of the tray and set aside
- Return to the oven and let cook until the eggplant slices are lightly browned and soft and the tomato released its juices and caramelized a bit.About 15 more minutes.
- If you are making your pie crust do so now,
- Take the crust and fit it into a 9" tart pan with a removable bottom
- Poke the bottom of the crust with a fork.
- Blind bake the crust - I line the crust with foil and fill it with rice - for 18 minutes
- Build the tart: add ¼ cup of pesto to the bottom of the tart and spread around.
- Add a layer of eggplant.
- Sprinkle with half of the feta cheesej
- Add a layer of tomatoes
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and a little bit of feta
- Add a final layer of eggplant. Pour the reserved tomato juice over the tart.
- Top with the remaining feta and the 2 TBS of pesto
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving