If you are looking for a festive side this holiday season look no further. This easy holiday rice dish can take you right through Thanksgiving and into New Years and beyond. The combination of simple rice, tart dried cranberries and crunchy pistachios with a citrus dressing will surely please everyone at the dinner table. Truth be told I’ve been eating the leftovers for lunch and it’s a perfect midday meal.
Serves 4 – 6
4 cups cooked white rice such as Jasmine
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup shelled pistachios
1 orange, preferably organic
1 TBS rice vinegar
salt to taste
Zest the orange. Set aside
Juice the orange, set aside
Mix the rice, cranberries and most of the pistachios in a large bowl. Hold about a tablespoon of pistachios aside to sprinkle on top.Mix well
Add the zest and rice vinegar to the fresh orange juice add salt to taste.
Add the dressing to the rice mixture and adjust taste.
This is really good rice. The orange dressing really brings out the flavor of the cranberries. The earthy pistachios are the perfect foil for the fruity tart/sweet flavors. Each bite is a joy. As I noted I ate the leftovers for lunch. It’s good warmed up or just at room temperature. Toss in a little chicken or shrimp and you have a complete meal!Print
A colorful and delicious holiday side dish
- 4 cups cooked white rice such as Jasmine
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 orange, preferably organic
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- salt to taste
- Zest the orange. Set aside
- Juice the orange, set aside
- Mix the rice, cranberries and most of the pistachios in a large bowl. Hold about a tablespoon of pistachios aside to sprinkle on top.Mix well
- Add the zest and rice vinegar to the fresh orange juice add salt to taste.
- Add the dressing to the rice mixture and adjust taste.
- To serve; add rice mixture to a bowl and sprinkle remaining pistachios on top
Keywords: rice, fancy rice, side dish, holiday rice