An enriched dough that makes a deliciously light bread with layers of jam
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3–1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg mixed with a splash of water for egg wash
- Swedish Pearl Sugar if desired for decoration
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy. In another bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, sugar and salt; add yeast mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Secure the dough hook and knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions. Roll 1 portion into a 12-in. circle. Place on a greased 14-in. pizza pan or pizza stone. Spread with half of the strawberry jam to within 1/2 in. from edge. Repeat twice, layering dough, apricot jam, dough strawberry jam, and ending with final portion of dough.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter on top of the dough in center of circle (do not press down). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of dough, forming a starburst. Remove cutter; grasp 2 adjacent strips, one in each hand and rotate twice outward. Pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle center with Swedish pearl sugar if using.
- Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. (Watch during final 5 minutes for any dripping.) Remove from oven; brush with melted butter, avoiding areas where jam is visible. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
There is a great video showing how to make this bread available HERE
Prep time includes rising time
Keywords: star bread, snowflake bread, Christmas star bread, pull apart bread