A lovely lemony cookie with a tart glaze
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced (1/4 cup will be used for the cookies, 1 TBS in the glaze)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- sugar for rolling
For the Glaze
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 TBS of the lemon juice from the two lemons
- 2 tsp lemon juice powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest to a bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached. Mix on medium low speed until the oils release and it resembles sand. Alternatively add to a medium bowl and press with your fingers untile the same thing happens
- Add the butter and salt and beat on medium until smooth, about two minutes.
- Next add the egg and mix until combined followed by the vanilla and lemon juice. It may look a little curdled at this point. Don’t worry.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low.
- Add the remaining flour and mix until just combined.
- Place about 1/4 cup of sugar to a small bowl
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop the dough into the sugar and roll around to coat.
- Place the dough balls on the prepared baking sheets 2″ apart
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 – 14 minutes, rotating the trays halfway between. The cookies are done when they are just starting to brown around the edges.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool
Make the Glaze:
- Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl. Stir in the lemon juice. If using the lemon juice powder stir in and taste. If you would like it more tart at a little more powder. If the glaze is too thick add a few more drops of lemon juice. Alternatively, if it is too thin add a little more powdered sugar.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies
Yield is going to depend on the size cookie scoop used.
If you don’t have a cookie scoop just use a tsp or TBS to scoop out the dough and form into a ball
Keywords: cookies, lemon cookies, sugar cookies, lemon sugar cookies