Homemade pizza made with white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chevre at room temperature
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 cups dehydrated tomatoes, rehydrated
- 1 cup roasted eggplant
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- 4 oz parmesan, grated
- Add the warm water to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cake flour and 2 1/2 cups of white whole wheat flour and the salt and mix until the dough just comes together. If the dough is too wet add the additional flour as needed.
- Replace the paddle with the dough hook and knead on speed 1 for 10 minutes.
- Oil a bowl.
- Add the kneaded dough to the oiled bowl and cover.
- Let rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
- After the first rise cut the dough in half. If you are only making one pizza you can freeze one half at this time.
- Let the dough sit for ten minutes
- While the dough is resting place a pizza stone if you are using one in the oven and preheat both to 450°
- After the dough has rested, carefully stretch the dough to a 12 -14″ round.
- Spinkle some corn meal on a pizza peal and place the dough round on the peel. If you don’t have a peel you can use a cookie sheet or whatever you have that can be used to slide the finished pizza on to the pizza stone.
- Mix the chevre and the pesto then spread evenly on the dough being careful not to tear the dough
- Top the chevre with the dehydrated tomatoes and then the roasted eggplant.
- Top with the mozzarella and grated parmesan.
- Carefully move the pizza on to the stone.
- Lower the temp to 400° and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
- Remove the pizza with a peel or with two spatulas and let it cool on the peel or on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes before cutting15