Edible bowls for soup or salad
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups Italian 00 Flour OR 1 cup cake flour and 2 1/2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- olive oil to rub on bowl for baking
- 1 egg mixed with a splash of water
- Add the warm water to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of the 00 Italian flour OR 1 cup cake flour and 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour and the salt and mix until the dough just comes together. If the dough is too wet add the additional flour as needed.
- Replace the paddle with the dough hook and knead on speed 1 for 10 minutes.
- Oil a bowl.
- Add the kneaded dough to the oiled bowl and cover.
- Let rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down and cut in half. At this point you can either make four bread bowls or freeze half of the dough for use later.
- Take one half of dough and cut in half, shape into balls and let rest.
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Turn a 1 1/2 quart pyrex, oven safe glass or clay bowl upside down on a baking sheet and oil lightly
- Take one of the dough balls and carefully stretch the dough until it covers the bowl.
- Brush the eggwash over the dough
- Place in the preheated oven and lower the temperature to 400° and bake for 12 – 15 min
- Carefully remove the bread bowl from the pyrex bowl and place it right side up on the baking sheet and return to the oven and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Repeat with other bread bowls returning oven to 450° at the beginning for each bowl. If you have two pyrex or oven safe glass bowls or clay bowls do two at a time