A delicious pretzel flavored hot dog bun
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small cloves garlic, grated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Pretzel salt or coarse ground sea salt, for sprinkling
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, 1/2 cup water, sugar and honey to 105 to 110 degrees F.
- Add to the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over water mixture and wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes until the blooms.
- In a separate saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and garlic and cook until the butter is melted and the garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine the all-purpose flour and bread flour in a mixing bowl. Add the flour mixture to the bowl with the blooming yeast, and then stir in the melted butter/garlic mixture.
- Mix on medium speed until the dough comes together and is smooth and elastic in texture and pulling away from the sides of the bowl, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured cutting board and form into a ball. Cut into 4 equal pieces, and then cut those in half to form 8 equal pieces.
- Using your hands, roll each piece into a ball and place onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Cover with a dish cloth and let rest in a warm place for to 15 minutes. Once rested, lightly dust your work surface again and roll the balls into 7-inch logs. Place onto the other prepared baking sheet, cover, place back in the warm spot and let rest for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place one oven rack high and one low.
- Line 2 more baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups water to a boil, and then add the baking soda.
- In batches, place the buns in the water and cook for 30 seconds on each side.
- Using a slotted spatula, remove the logs and place onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle the logs with pretzel salt as they come out of the water, to ensure the salt sticks. Then cut 3 deep, diagonal slits on top of bread.
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, rotating racks halfway through the cooking.
- Cool on a wire rack.
These freeze beautifully
Keywords: hot dog buns, pretzel buns, pretzel rolls. pretzel hot dog rolls