Every other week I bake something for the firemen and every other week I therefore have to figure out what to make for them! This last week as I was faced with the question I have to admit my answer was more driven by the leftover pumpkin in my ‘fridge than anything else. I had made the pumpkin ravioli so I had a fair bit of pumpkin left from the can.
I read a bunch of different recipes and mashed a few of them together and came up with a combination that worked really well. It turned out to be a very moist, dense cake with lots of flavor. It’s a very adult cake due to the spices used and it tasted even better on the second day.
Pumpkin Applesauce Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, melted plus more for the pan
5 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 TBS cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cardamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
3 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 cup raisins
For the Icing:
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
16 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup honey
1 cup cashews toasted
Preheat oven to 350°
Butter a 15 x 10 x 2 or a 13 x 9 x 2 and a 6″ round (which is what I did so I could have a mini cake)
Cool on a wire rack.
Make the frosting:
Mix the butter, cream cheese and honey in a stand mixer with the paddle attached until well blended.
Frost the top of the cake.
If making a mini cake: after removing it from the pan carefully cut it in half. Add frosting to one layer, top with the second layer and frost the top only.
The mini cake was fun to make. It gave me a chance to have some for myself while still having enough to send into the firemen. It is a truly delicious combination of flavors. The icing was perfect – not too sweet and a perfect accompaniment to the cake.Print
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted plus more for the pan
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cardamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- For the Icing:
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 16 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup cashews toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Butter a 15 x 10 x 2 or a 13 x 9 x 2 and a 6″ round (which is what I did so I could have a mini cake)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a medium bowl mix together the eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and melted butter.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix until just blended.
- Add the raisins and stir until combined.
- Add the batter to the pan(s) and level with an offset spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Make the frosting:
- Mix the butter, cream cheese and honey in a stand mixer with the paddle attached until well blended.
- Frost the top of the cake.
- If making a mini cake: after removing it from the pan carefully cut it in half. Add frosting to one layer, top with the second layer and frost the top only.
- Chop the toasted cashews and sprinkle on top of the cake(s)