A lovely cookie with a taste of cornmeal, a hint of orange and the richness of chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 16 TBS unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBS orange zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- Whisk together the cornmeal and all purpose flour in a medium bowl and set aside
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attached cream together the butter, sugar, zest and salt until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
- Add the egg yolk, until well mixed.
- Then add the egg and mix well until well blended.
- Add the vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Turn off the mixer and add the flour mixture.
- On low speed mix together just until combined.
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured counter, divide into fourths, form each fourth into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- When ready to roll out the dough preheat the oven to 375°
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners
- Remove one disc at a time and roll out to about 1/8″ thick
- Cut into rounds (I used a 2″ cutter) and remove to a prepared baking sheet placing the cookies about 2″ apart.
- Repeat with the remaining discs
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes then rotate the pans and bake for another 7 minutes until the cookies are just done.
- Remove to a wire rack to fully cool.
- After the cookies have cooled to the touch finely chop the chocolate.
- Add the chocolate and the butter to a small, microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave in short increments until the chocolate and butter are melted. Stir to combine.
- Using a fork drizzle/throw like Jackson Pollock the chocolate over the cookies.
- Let the cookies sit until the chocolate sets.
Keywords: dessert, cookies, orange, cornmeal, chocolate