A delicious celebration of fresh picked strawberries
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 TBS granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 TBS cold, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 – 3 TBS ice water or more as needed
For the Pie
- 4 pints fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 TBS sure jell (optional but it will be thicker and clearer)
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- Vanilla Ice cream if desired
- Make the Crust:
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives cut in the butter and shortening
- Add 3 TBS of the ice water. Mix with a fork. If you need to add more water to get the dough to come together do so a teaspoon at a time.
- Do not over mix.
- Gather the mixture into a ball, remove to a surface lightly dusted with flour and knead a few times to form a cohesive dough.
- Form into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Dust your surface with a little bit of flour and roll the dough out so that it will fit a 9″ pie dish
- Carefully remove the dough to the pie dish, trim and form a decorative edge.
- Refrigerate for half an hour.
- While the dough is cooling preheat the oven to 425°
- Remove the prepared dish from the refrigerator. Take a fork and dot the bottom of the crust with holes.
- Cover with foil and fill with beans or rice.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove the foil and beans or rice and return to the oven for 8 – 10 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool
- While the crust is baking, make the filling
- Take 6 ounces of the ugliest strawberries and puree them in the food processor (1 1/2 cups). Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch sure jell if using and salt in a saucepan and add the berry puree. Bring to a full boil stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Cook for two minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the lemon juice. Cool to room temperature.
- Cut the remaining berries into bite sized chunks.
- Stir in the thickened puree and gently mix.
- Scoop into the cooled pie shell and arrange nicely.
- Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Delicious with vanilla ice cream
Keywords: strawberry pie, pie