A delicious baked chicken with an orange sauce with just the right amount of heat
- 1 chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- hot sauce
- 1 orange plus the zest from another orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS grated ginger root
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 TBS cornstarch mixed with a little water
- cooking spray
- 2 cups prepared long grain brown rice or other rice
- roasted broccoli and cauliflower
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Prepare your breading station for the chicken. For this recipe there are layers of flavor everywhere.
- Mix the zest of one orange and a generous sprinkling of salt with the panko bread crumbs.
- Add a generous sprinkling of salt and some freshly ground pepper to the flour.
- Add the egg and about a teaspoon of water to a bowl. Stir with a fork until the egg is quite well mixed. Then add about two or three shakes of your favorite hot sauce.
- Dip the pieces of chicken in the seasoned flour, then in the egg, then in the panko.
- Place them on a cookie sheet.
- Spray the chicken with cooking spray and bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove, turn and bake for another 5 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned.
- While the chicken is baking zest your orange then peel it and cut it into supremes. Set them aside.
- Squeeze any remaining juice into a small saucepan. Add the 1/2 cup of orange juice, soy sauce, grated ginger root, orange zest and rice wine vinegar. Add hot sauce to your taste.
- Let this mixture come to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and add the cornstarch and water slurry.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Cook for about a minute longer and remove from the heat.
- Add in the cooked chicken and the orange slices. Gently stir until all pieces are coated with the sauce.
- When you are ready to serve dish the chicken and orange mixture over the prepared rice and serve it with the roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
Keywords: easy spicy chicken, sweet and spicy chicken, easy chicken recipe, 30 minute recipe