It was a clean out the refrigerator night and I found myself with some homemade tomato soup and some jasmine rice. I didn’t want to just have tomato rice soup so I thought I’d dress it up a little with the addition of a bit of shrimp and an avocado. I must say that it turned into a very delicious leftovers dinner recipe. It could easily be made as a “first dinner” if you know what I mean and I am sure I’ll do just that in the future. It was really that good.
Tomato Soup with Garlic Shrimp on Rice
3 cups tomato soup
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 pound shrimp
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 TSP fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
2 TBS sour cream (optional)
Cut the shrimp into bit sized pieces and add to a small bowl.
Add the olive oil and garlic. Stir and let sit for about 15 minutes.
Add the lemon juice, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
How Was It?
Downright delicious if you ask me! I had made the tomato soup the night before from tomatoes I had put up last year so the soup was really flavorful and it was nothing but tomato, basil, oregano a little white wine and a bit of milk. The garlic shrimp were sweet with that hit of garlicky goodness.
The avocado added a rich creaminess and the sour cream was another layer of flavor. All in all a meal I’d be happy to eat again. Leftovers dinner night certainly can lead to a very yummy meal.
Other Soup Recipes:
- 3 cups tomato soup
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 pound shrimp
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 TSP fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 TBS sour cream (optional)
- Cut the shrimp into bit sized pieces and add to a small bowl.
- Add the olive oil and garlic. Stir and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut the avocado into small pieces
- Heat a cast iron pan or other non reactive pan over medium heat.
- When the pan is hot add the shrimp in its marinade and the salt and cook until just done about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Heat the soup in a saucepan and warm the rice in the microwave.
- To serve: put 3/4 cup of rice in a bowl
- Add some soup around the rice – about a cup and a half
- Top with half of the shrimp and half of the avocado.
- Top with sour cream if desired