The last time I had to bake for the firemen it was one of those conversations with the hubby that went something like this:
Me: Is it a bake for the firemen day?
Him: No, I don’t think so. What Tuesday is it?
Me: It’s a third Tuesday.
Him: No. no baking.
Time passes and a voice calls up from the basement….
IT’S A BAKING DAY!
So I had to come up with something fast and that I could make with what I could find in my pantry/refrigerator ’cause it was already after noon and he had to take the treats in by 6PM. I decided on brownies of some kind because I ALWAYS have what I need on hand to make brownies. I did want to dress them up a little so while they were baking I looked around for what I could do and I figured turtle brownies would be just the thing.
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 TBS pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup walnuts or pecans
3/4 cups chocolate chips
Caramel sauce – homemade or store bought (You can find a recipe for homemade caramel sauce)
Preheat oven to 350°
Grease a 13 x 9″ pan and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment.
Melt the butter. Remove from heat. Stir in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
Stir in the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
Pour into the prepared pan.
Sprinkle the walnuts or pecans over the top of the batter.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 tp 30 minutes until just cooked.
How Were the Turtle Brownies?
I HAD to taste test these. I had to. I wouldn’t be a good baker if I didn’t, right? I will tell you that they were very good. Fudgy chocolate brownie, sweet caramel sauce, crunchy walnuts and the semi sweet chocolate chips were just what they needed to cut the sweet.
I will be making these again. They were easy to make and really tasty.
All Amazon purchase links are affiliate links which means if you buy anything through them I will receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 TBS pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cups chocolate chips
- Caramel sauce – homemade or store bought
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease a 13 x 9″ pan and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment.
- Melt the butter. Remove from heat. Stir in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the walnuts or pecans over the top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 tp 30 minutes until just cooked.
- Cool on a wire rack. Remove the brownies from the pan and cut into small pieces. Drizzle with caramel sauce and top with chocolate chips.
Keywords: brownies, turtle brownies, chocolate, caramel