It is zucchini season again on the farm so I am drowning in squash. As per usual I am trying to figure out what to do with with the piles of zucchini the hubby brings in to me every day. I did make a load of zucchini muffins for the firemen. I haven’t written about it here on the blog but we have a wildfire not too far from us. I’ve been posting photos on my Instagram account if you want to check it out. So far we are safe. Tonight for dinner I tried something new – zucchini cakes. It was a mash up of several recipes I had read. I have to admit for a first try they were pretty tasty. I don’t fry food that often so it’s a real treat when I do. Check out the recipe and then enter the giveaway!
(The printable recipe is at the bottom of the post, after the giveaway)
Makes 18 small cakes
3 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup shredded carrot
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup all purpose flour
1 TBS salt
2 tsp garlic powder
3 large eggs
2 cups panko bread crumbs
canola oil for frying
Add the zucchini, carrot and cheese to a large bowl and toss together until well mixed.
Add the flour, salt and garlic powder and toss until combined.
Mix the eggs together with a fork and add to the mixture in the bowl. Gently mix together with your hands until well combined.
Place the panko in a bowl or on a plate.
Heat about 1/2″ of oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
Drop the zucchini mixture in small balls – I used a large cookie scoop – into the panko.
Coat with the panko and then press into a disc.
Set the zucchini cakes aside until they are ready to fry
When the oil is hot add the cakes to the pan – don’t over crowd.
I served them on lettuce with some French dressing. Obviously there are a myriad of ways that these could be eaten. I may or may not have just eaten one plain. And it may or may not have been really good.
How Were They?
Pretty darn good. I don’t fry things all that often so anything crunchy is a really treat. These tasted very good. The oil was hot so they weren’t greasy, just crispy which is what you want. The French dressing was a delightful condiment for them.
Welcome to the Oh, the Places You’ll Go Giveaway Hop hosted by
There are lots of great prizes available so be sure to check out the other blogs after you enter here. You can enter to win $25 PayPal – one lucky reader will win! The giveaway is open worldwide. Full rules are on the widget. Good luck everyone.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 TBS salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- canola oil for frying
- Add the zucchini, carrot and cheese to a large bowl and toss together until well mixed.
- Add the flour, salt and garlic powder and toss until combined.
- Mix the eggs together with a fork and add to the mixture in the bowl. Gently mix together with your hands until well combined.
- Place the panko in a bowl or on a plate.
- Heat about ½" of oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Drop the zucchini mixture in small balls - I used a large cookie scoop - into the panko.
- Coat with the panko and then press into a disc.
- Set the zucchini cakes aside until they are ready to fry
- When the oil is hot add the cakes to the pan - don't over crowd.
- Fry the cakes until they are nicely browned and turn over to cook on the other side.
- Remove to a paper towel to drain. Keep warm until ready to serve